Welcome to an early look at patch notes for the upcoming World of Warcraft expansion: Warlords of Draenor. The new expansion introduces a wealth of new content and changes. There's also a new patch note format, which we hope will help better convey the reasoning for many of the changes being made and what they mean for you, while providing more background into issues we're trying to solve.
Please be aware that the patch notes are preliminary and not final
. Details may change before retail release and new information will be added for additional features as development continues on the Warlords of Draenor expansion.
For more information about Alpha testing and how you can opt in for a chance to participate in the Warlords of Draenor beta test later down the line, check out Warlords of Draenor™ Alpha Testing Begins
Looking for a TL;DR summary of all of the changes? Here you go!
- Character stats have been squished into smaller numbers that are easier to understand. It's important to understand that this is not a nerf as enemies have been squished as well.
- A new row of talents has been added for level 100, and new Draenor Perks from levels 91 to 99.
- The Garrison is a new feature available in Draenor, where you can build a base, recruit followers, and send them on missions.
- We've balanced the functionality of Agility, Strength and Intellect.
- Hit and Expertise have been removed; they're no longer needed in order to reliably land attacks!
- The pace of healing have been adjusted to allow for more tactical decisionmaking regarding efficiency and throughput, on both single-target and multi-target heals. Passive and auto-targeted healing have been reduced in effectiveness in order to emphasize the actions and choices of healers.
- Racial traits have been rebalanced so that all races have similar combat performance.
- All classes have had several abilities pruned, with a focus on redundant and less-used abilities, to cut down on button and keybind bloat.
- The amount of crowd control in the game (primarily PvP) has been drastically reduced. Many crowd-control abilities have been removed, and many diminishing returns categories are now merged together.
- Several common buffs and debuffs have been merged, or removed, where they were redundant.
- All characters now learn a few important Major Glyphs automatically as they level up.
- The amount of instant healing in the game has been toned down by giving cast times to several instant cast heals.
- Vengeance has been redesigned and renamed Resolve. Resolve does not increase outgoing damage, but does now increase tank self-healing and absorption based on damage taken.
- Facing requirements (character position) on some prominent abilities have been loosened or removed.
- The mana cost of Resurrection spells has been reduced to make it a little easier to recover from a wipe.
- Professions no longer have combat benefit perks tied to them.
- There are a multitude of class-specific changes, including things like improved distinction between different Talent specializations, and new Masteries. Consult the class-specific sections below for more information.
Level-100 Talents and Draenor PerksA new row of talents has been added for level 100
. For testing purposes, these are currently accessible at level 90.
Draenor Perks is a new feature that adds rewards for leveling. Over levels 91 to 99, you will earn these 9 new Draenor Perk in a random order. Each class and specialization has a different set of 9 Draenor Perks.
- Level-100 talents have been added for all classes!
- Draenor Perks have been added for all classes, earned from levels 91 to 99.
The Iron Horde army is massive and reinforcements from Azeroth are few. In order to stand a chance, you will need to build an army of your own.
- Undertake an epic quest to build a permanent base of operations on Draenor.
- Find blueprints and materials to expand and customize your Garrison.
- Recruit followers with unique skills and abilities to your cause.
- Send followers on missions to level them up and acquire bonus loot.
- Begin the quest for your Garrison in Shadowmoon Valley or Frostfire Ridge.
Game System Changes
Character progression is one of the defining characteristics of a role-playing game. Naturally, that means that we're continuously adding more power to the game for players to acquire. After 4 expansions and over 9 years of this growth, we've gotten to a point where the numbers involved are no longer easy to grasp. And worse, much of the granularity that's available is tied up in tiers of older content from Molten Core to Dragon Soul, none of which are really relevant anymore. It's no longer necessary for Borean Tundra quest gear to be nearly twice as powerful as Netherstorm quest gear, even though the two zones are only a couple of levels apart.
In order to bring things down to an understandable level, we've reduced the scale of stats throughout the game, back to as if they continued scaling linearly through questing content from levels 1 to 90. This applies to creatures, spells, abilities, consumables, gear, other items... everything. Your stats and damage have been reduced by a huge amount, but so have creatures' health. For example, your Огненный шар
that previously hit a creature for 450,000 out of its 3,000,000 health (15% of its health), may now hit that same creature for 30,000 out of its 200,000 health (still 15% of its health). In effect, you will still be just as powerful, but the numbers that appear will be more easily parsed.
It's important to understand that this isn't a nerf, and we have special handling in place to preserve players’ existing ability to solo old content. Players will deal bonus damage against lower-level creatures from past expansions, and will take reduced damage from them.
We've also removed all base damage on player spells and abilities, and adjusted Attack Power or Spell Power scaling as needed, so that all specializations will scale at the same rate.
- The amount of stats on items has been reduced to be much lower than before.
- Creature stats have been reduced to compensate.
Primary Character Stats and Attack Power
The "primary" stats, Agility, Strength, and Intellect, are foundations of a character’s power. But they have not been created equally, making it difficult to properly balance them against secondary stats. The leading reason for this is that Agility and Intellect also provide Critical chance, in addition to Attack Power or Spell Power, whereas Strength does not. In order to achieve better balance, we've removed the Critical chance increase from Agility and Intellect. Still, it felt like Agility-based characters should critically strike more often, so we've raised those classes’ baseline Critical Strike chance to compensate.
- Agility no longer provides an increased chance to critically strike with melee and ranged attacks or abilities.
- Intellect no longer provides an increased chance to critically strike with spells.
- The base chance to critically strike is now 5% for all classes. There are no longer different chances to critically strike with melee, ranged, and spells.
- There is a new passive, named Критические удары, which increases chance to critically strike by 10%.
It is learned by all Разбойникs, all Охотникs, Feral and Guardian Друидs, Brewmaster and Windwalker Монахs, and Enhancement Шаманs.
"The "primary" stats, Agility, Strength, and Intellect, are foundations of a character’s power. But they have not been created equally, making it difficult to properly balance them against secondary stats." We've consolidated the way that Attack Power and Spell Power function and scale, to make those values clearer and correct some scaling issues regarding caster weapons relative to physical weapons.
- Each point of Agility or Strength now grants 1 Attack Power (down from 2). All other sources of Attack Power now grant half as much as before.
- Weapon Damage values on all weapons have been reduced by 20%.
- Attack Power now increases Weapon Damage at a rate of 1 DPS per 3.5 Attack Power (up from 1 DPS per 14 Attack Power).
- Attack Power, Spell Power, or Weapon Damage now affect the entire healing or damage throughput of player spells.
Active mitigation has worked very well as a tanking model. So, moving forward we want to keep the amount of Dodge and Parry on tanks on the low side. This helps prevent encounters from causing very spiky damage on tanks, which generally isn't much fun. Dodge and Parry gains from Strength and Agility are being reduced to help accomplish this. Additionally, items in Warlords of Draenor will not have Dodge or Parry on them as a stat. Some Dodge and Parry can still be gained through class-specific effects.
- The amount of Dodge gained per point of Agility has been reduced by 25%.
- The amount of Parry gained per point of Strength has been reduced by 25%.
Hit and Expertise Removal
Hit and Expertise were not fun stats. They acted to remove a penalty, instead of making you stronger. Most players treated Hit/Expertise caps as mandatory (rightfully so), with failure to reach those caps as a trap of sorts. After adjusting, gemming, and reforging gear to meet that cap, players could then go after the actual damage-increasing stats. We decided to remove Hit and Expertise, and make it so you don't need them. We still want melee specializations to attack creatures from behind when possible, so non-tanking specializations will have a 3% chance to be parried that cannot be eliminated.
All players now have a 100% chance to hit, 0% chance to be dodged, 3% chance to be parried, and 0% chance to glance, when fighting creatures up to 3 levels higher (bosses included).
Tank specializations receive an additional 3% reduction in chance to be parried, so tank attacks have a 0% chance to be parried vs. creatures up to 3 levels higher.
- Creatures 4+ levels higher than you still have a chance to avoid your attacks in various ways, so as to discourage you from attempting to fight enemies that are much stronger than you.
- Dual Wielding still imposes a 17% chance to miss, so as to balance it with two-handed weapon use.
Hit and Expertise bonuses on all items
and item enhancements (gems
, etc.) have been converted into Critical Strike, Haste, or Mastery. Рыцарь смерти
- now also reduces the chance for attacks to be parried by 3%.
- Balance of Power has been removed.
- Nature’s Focus no longer increases the chance to hit with Moonfire and Wrath.
- Плотная шкура now also reduces the chance for attacks to be parried by 3%.
- no longer increases Hit or Expertise.
- Пошатывание now also reduces the chance for attacks to be parried by 3%.
- Divine Fury has been removed.
- Spiritual Precision has been removed.
- no longer increases the chance to hit with spells.
- Святилище now also reduces the chance for attacks to be parried by 3%.
- Elemental Precision has been removed.
- no longer increases the chance to hit with Молния, Выброс лавы, Сглаз, or .
- Стойкий воин now also reduces the chance for attacks to be parried by 3%.
Player Health and Resilience
We’re planning several interconnected changes designed to provide better-tuned gameplay for healers and improve the healing dynamic in PvP.
The high amount of base Resilience and Battle Fatigue in Mists of Pandaria caused characters to feel much weaker in PvP than they did in PvE. To address this disparity, we’re approaching Warlords of Draenor with the goal of shrinking that gap as much as possible. To reduce dependence on Resilience, we needed to increase player survivability against other players, and we chose to do this by essentially doubling (post-squish) player health.
On its own, that increase in health would make players more survivable in the world at large, so we’re also increasing creature damage and the effectiveness of healing spells to balance things out. The net result of these changes is that individual attacks will knock a smaller chunk off of a player’s health pool in PvP, but your survivability in PvE remains unaffected.
Doubling player health gave us room to reduce Resilience and Battle Fatigue, but our goal was to be able to remove them entirely. In order to achieve that, we’re also reducing PvP spike damage across the board by lowering Critical Damage and Critical Heals against players in PvP to 150% of their normal effect (down from 200%). Our hope is that these changes allow us to reduce Base Resilience and Battle Fatigue to 0%. It’s possible that we’ll still find a need for some minor amount of Base Resilience and/or Battle Fatigue, and we’ll be testing these changes extensively and adjusting as needed.
- Base Resilience has been reduced to 0%.
- Battle Fatigue has been removed. PvP combat no longer reduces the amount of healing received by PvP participants.
- Critical Damage and Critical Heals in PvP combat now deal 150% of the normal spell/ability effects (down from 200%).
- The amount of health per Stamina has approximately doubled. The curve on this calculation has been smoothed out as well, so the exact amount varies slightly by level.
- Maximum mana has been approximately doubled at all levels to keep pace with the expected health from new Stamina values.
- All consumables have had their healing and mana regeneration values approximately doubled.
- All creatures have had their melee damage doubled. Most creature spells and abilities have had their damage doubled as well.
- All player-cast healing and absorption effects have been increased by approximately 50% in effectiveness. If they heal or absorb a percentage of maximum health, they are instead reduced by 25%. All other noted changes are in terms relative to that.
For example, if another noted change is that "Mega Heal now heals for 40% more," that means that Mega Heal now heals for a total of 210% of what it used to, which is relatively 40% higher, compared to other heals.
Retuning Healing Spells
One of our goals for healing is to tone down the raw throughput of healers relative to the size of player health pools. Currently, as healers and their allies acquire better and better gear, the percentage of a player’s health that any given heal restores increases significantly. As a result, healers are able to refill health bars so fast that we have to make damage more and more “bursty” in order to challenge them. Ideally, we want players to spend some time below full health without having healers feel like their groupmates are in danger of dying at any moment. We also think that healer gameplay would be more varied, interesting, and skillful if your allies spent more time between 0% and 100%, rather than just getting damaged quickly to low health, forcing the healer to then scramble to get them back to 100% as quickly as possible.
To that end, we’re buffing heals less than we’re increasing player health. Heals will be deliberately less potent compared to health pools than before the item squish. Additionally, as gear improves, the scaling rates of health and healing will now be very similar, so the relative power of any given healing spell shouldn’t climb so much over the course of this expansion. For those concerned about what this means for raiding, don’t worry—we’re taking all of these changes into account when designing Raid content for Warlords of Draenor.
It’s also important to note that spells that heal based on a percentage of maximum health are being effectively buffed by the massive increase to player health pools, so we’re lowering those percentages to offset the effect. That may make them appear to have been nerfed—however, the net result is that those percentage-based heals stay about the same as before relative to other heals.
All of these changes apply to damage-absorption shields as well. Additionally, we're toning down the power of damage absorption in general. When they get too strong, absorption effects are often used in place of direct healing, instead of as a way to supplement it. We will, of course, take these changes into account when tuning specializations that rely heavily on absorbs, such as Discipline Жрец
s. "We want healers to care about who they're targeting and which heals they're using..." We also took a look at healing spells that were passive or auto-targeted (so-called "smart" heals). We want healers to care about who they're targeting and which heals they're using,so that their decisions matter more. To that end, we're reducing the healing of many passive and auto-targeted heals, and making smart heals a little less smart. Smart heals will now randomly pick any injured target within range instead of always picking the most injured target. Priority will still be given to players over pets, of course.
Another of our goals for healing in this expansion is to strike a better balance between single-target and multi-target healing spells. We've taken a close look at the mana efficiency of our multi-target heals, and in many cases, we're reducing their efficiency, usually by reducing the amount they heal. Sometimes, but more rarely, raising their mana cost was a better decision. We want players to use multi-target heals, but they should only be better than their single-target equivalents when they heal more than two players without any overhealing. This way, players will face a meaningful choice between whether to use a single-target heal or a multi-target heal based on the situation.
Finally, we're removing the low-throughput, low-mana-cost heals like Nourish, Holy Light, Heal, and Healing Wave, because we think that while they do add complexity, they don’t truly add depth to healing gameplay. (We’re also renaming some spells to re-use those names. For example, Greater Healing Wave is being redubbed Healing Wave.) However, we still want healers to think about their mana when deciding which heal to cast, and so the mana costs and throughputs of many spells are being altered to give players a choice between spells with lower throughput and lower cost versus spells with higher throughput and higher costs. Here are some examples from each healer class.
All of this discussion of efficiency may cause most healers to start worrying about mana regeneration and their mana pool. To allay those concerns, we’ve increased base mana regeneration a great deal at early gear levels, while having it scale up less at later gear levels. This will make all of these changes play well even in early content such as Heroic Dungeons and the first tier of Raid content, and also play well in the final Raid tier without mana and efficiency becoming irrelevant due to extremely high regeneration values. "...we’ve increased base mana regeneration a great deal at early gear levels, while having it scale up less at later gear levels."
That’s a lot of big changes for healers: reduced throughput, a more deliberate pace, less powerful “smart” heals, weaker absorbs, fewer spells, and a new focus on efficiency decisions. We’re confident that we can apply lessons learned from previous expansions to make this the best healer experience yet: more dynamic, less punishing, and frankly a lot more fun.General Changes:
- Smart heals will now randomly pick any injured target within range, instead of always picking the most injured target. Priority will still be given to players over pets.
- Long-cast-time single-target heals, such as Исцеление and , now cost roughly half as much as fast-cast-time single-target heals, such as Вспышка Света or Исцеляющий всплеск, and heal for roughly the same amount.
- Every class has multiple area healing spells available, some low throughput and efficient, others high throughput and inefficient.
- Area healing spells are tuned to be less efficient than single-target healing spells when they heal 2 or fewer targets, and more efficient when they heal 3 or more targets,
- Spells with cooldowns or limitations may have higher efficiency than the no-cooldown equivalents.
We want races to have fun and interesting perks, but if those traits are too powerful, players may feel compelled to play a specific race even if it doesn't suit their aesthetic preference. For example, Trolls' Berserking ability was extremely powerful, and their Beast Slaying passive was often irrelevant, but occasionally tremendously powerful compared to other racial passives. On the other end of the spectrum, many races had few or no performance affecting perks. We also needed to replace or update a number of racials that previously granted Hit or Expertise, since those stats have been removed.
We decided to bring down the couple high outliers, then establish a fair baseline and bring everyone else up to that. We achieved that by improving old passives, replacing obsolete ones, and occasionally adding new ones where needed. Our goal with these changes is to reach parity amongst races. Draenei
- Боевой дух has been redesigned. It no longer increases Hit by 1%, and instead increases Strength, Agility, and Intellect, scaling with character level.
- Дар наару now heals for the same amount over 5 seconds (down from 15 seconds).
- Crack Shot has been removed (was 1% Expertise with ranged weapons).
- Mace Specialization (was 1% Expertise with maces) has been replaced with Мощь гор.
- Мощь гор is a new racial passive ability that increases Critical Strike bonus damage and healing dealt by 2%.
- Каменная форма now also removes magic and curse effects in addition to poison, disease, and bleed effects, along with reducing damage taken by 10% for 8 seconds. It remains unusable while the Dwarf is under the effects of crowd control.
- Пытливый ум now increases maximum mana, energy, rage, and Runic Power by 5% instead of only increasing maximum mana.
- Мастер побега’s cooldown has been reduced to 1 minute (down from 1.5 minutes).
- Shortblade Specialization (was 1% Expertise with one-handed swords and daggers) has been replaced with Быстрые пальцы.
- Быстрые пальцы is a new racial passive ability that increases Haste by 1%.
- Время - деньги now grants a 1% increase to Haste (up from only attack speed and spell haste).
- Mace Specialization has been removed (was 1% Expertise with maces).
- Sword Specialization has been removed (was 1% Expertise with swords).
- Человеческий дух has been redesigned. It no longer increases Spirit by 3%, and instead now increases 2 secondary stats by an amount scaling with character level. You can choose which 2 secondary stats it increases. This has not yet been implemented.
- Расторопность now also increases movement speed by 2% in addition to increasing Dodge chance by 2%.
- Прикосновение Элуны is a new passive ability which increases Haste by 1% at night, and Critical Strike chance by 1% during the day.
- Axe Specialization has been removed (was 1% Expertise with axes).
- Command now increases pet damage by 1% (down from 2%).
- Твердость now reduces the duration of Stun effects by 10% (down from 15%).
- Грубая сила is a new racial passive ability that increases Critical Strike bonus damage and healing done by 2%.
- Закалка now increases Stamina by an amount scaling with character level, instead of increasing Base Health by 5%.
- Берсерк now increases Haste by 15% (down from 20%).
- Убийство животных now increases XP earned from killing Beasts by 20%, instead of increasing damage dealt versus Beasts by 5%.
- Dead Eye has been removed (was 1% Expertise with ranged weapons).
- Воля Отрекшихся’s cooldown has been increased to 3 minutes (up from 2 minutes).
- Undead can now breath underwater indefinitely.
Over the years, we've added significantly more new spells and abilities to the game than we've removed. This has led to the complexity of the game increasing steadily over time, to the point we're at now, where players feel like they need dozens of keybinds. There are many niche abilities which could theoretically be useful in some rare case, but usually are not. There are many abilities that we'd be better off not having. We decided that we needed to make a strong push for paring down the number of abilities each class/spec has. That means making some abilities restricted to certain specs that really need them instead of being class-wide, and outright removing some other abilities. It also includes removing some Spellbook clutter, such as passives that could be merged with others, or with base abilities.
However, this doesn't mean that we want to reduce the depth of gameplay, or "dumb it down.” We still want there to be interesting decisions during combat, and for skill to matter. But, that doesn't require complexity; we can remove some needless complexity and still retain the depth and skill variance.
One type of ability that we focused on is temporary power buffs ("cooldowns"). Removing those also helps achieve one of our other goals, which is to reduce the amount of cooldown stacking in the game. In cases where a class/spec had multiple cooldowns that typically ended up getting used together, often in a single macro, we merged them, or removed some of them.
What abilities and spells got cut is a very, very difficult
question to answer. Every ability is vital to someone, so we don't take this process lightly. We hope that even if we cut your favorite ability, you can see it in the context of our larger goals. It's important to remember that the point of these changes is to increase players' ability to understand the game, not to reduce depth of gameplay.
Рыцарь смерти Друид
The levels at which you learn class abilities have been revised to provide a smoother leveling flow.
- Enrage has been removed.
- Innervate has been removed. Mana costs for Друидs have been adjusted accordingly.
- Mangle (Cat Form) has been removed. Увечье (Bear Form) remains unchanged.
- Nourish has been removed.
- Полоснуть is now available to all Друидs.
- Swipe (Bear Form) has been removed. Размах (Cat Form) remains unchanged.
- Symbiosis has been removed.
Aspect of the Hawk has been removed.
- Aspect of the Iron Hawk has been renamed to Железный ястреб, and now passively provides 10% damage reduction.
Cower has been removed as a pet ability.
Distracting Shot has been removed.
Hunter’s Mark has been removed.
is no longer available to Survival Охотник
Lock and Load has been removed.
now naturally has a chance to cause the Lock and Load effect.
Lynx Rush has been removed.
Rabid has been removed as a pet ability.
Rapid Fire has been removed.
Rapid Recuperation has been removed.
Serpent Sting and Improved Serpent Sting have been removed.
- Serpent Spread has been renamed Укус змеи, and remains a passive for Survival Охотникs. It causes Залп and to also apply the Serpent Sting poison, which does instant and periodic damage.
Widow Venom has been removed.
Revive Pet and Mend Pet now share one button, which toggles based on whether you have a live pet. Маг
Монах Паладин Жрец
- Чародейский обстрел now replaces Fire Blast for Arcane Mages.
- Чародейская вспышка now replaces Frostfire Bolt for Arcane Mages.
- Чародейский взрыв is now available only to Arcane Mages.
- is now available only to Frost Mages.
- now replaces Deep Freeze for Fire Mages.
- is now available only to Frost Mages.
- Дыхание дракона now replaces Cone of Cold for Fire Mages.
- Прилив сил is now available only to Arcane Mages.
- Огненный столб is now available only to Fire Mages.
- Pyromaniac has been removed.
- is now available only to Frost Mages and is now a passive effect.
- Ледяное копье now replaces Fire Blast and is only available to Frost Mages.
- is now available only to Arcane Mages and is now a passive effect.
- Mana Gem has been removed.
- is now available only to Fire Mages and is now a passive effect.
- Обледенение is now available only to Frost Mages.
- Связующее исцеление is no longer available to Shadow Жрецs.
- Hymn of Hope has been removed.
- Heal has been removed.
- Greater Heal has been renamed Исцеление.
- no longer provides any mana cost reduction.
- Rapture has been removed.
- Обновление is now available only to Holy Жрецs.
- Слово Тьмы: Смерть is now available only to Shadow Жрецs.
- Void Shift has been removed.
- Inner Fire has been removed.
- Inner Will has been removed.
- Disarm Trap has been removed.
- Рваная рана is no longer available to Combat Разбойникs.
- Shadow Blades has been removed.
Stormlash Totem has been removed.
Searing Flames has been removed.
- damage has been increased by 40%, and Вскипание лавы damage has been increased to 280% weapon damage (up from 140%) to compensate.
is now available only to Restoration Шаман
- All of the various Soulburn effects are learned together with Soulburn, instead of at different levels.
- and Печать хаоса now affect all enemies within 10 yards of the target.
Metamorphosis: Cursed Auras has been removed.
- and Печать хаоса no longer gain a benefit from Soulburn.
- no longer applies to Curses.
no longer gains a benefit from Soul Burn.
Drain Soul has been removed.
Fel Flame has been removed. Канал здоровья
no longer gains a benefit from Soul Burn.
Metamorphosis: Void Ray has been removed.
Metamorphosis: Carrion Swarm has been removed.
Pyroclasm has been removed. The altered behavior it granted for Chaos Bolt is now baseline to Backdraft. Семя порчи
now replaces Rain of Fire for Affliction Чернокнижник
Soulshatter has been removed. Бесконечное дыхание
no longer gains a benefit from Soul Burn. Воин
Crowd Control and Diminishing Returns
Another big takeaway from Mists of Pandaria is that there was simply too much crowd control (CC) in the game. To solve that, we knew that we needed an across-the-board disarmament. Here's a summary of the player-cast CC changes:
- Removed Silence effects from Interrupts. Silences still exist, but are never attached to an Interrupt.
- Removed all Disarms.
- Reduced the number of Diminishing Returns (DR) categories.
All Roots now share the same DR category.
Exception: Roots on 'Charge' types of abilities have no DR category, but have a very short duration instead.
All Stuns now share the same DR category.
All Incapacitate ("Mesmerize") effects now share the same DR category, and have been merged with the Horror DR category.
Removed the ability to make cast-time CC spells instant with a cooldown.
Removed many CC spells entirely, and increased the cooldowns and restrictions on others.
- Pet-cast CC is more limited and often removed.
- Cyclone can now be dispelled by Immunities and Массовое рассеивание.
- PvP trinkets now grant immunity to reapplication of an effect from the same spell cast, when they break abilities with persistent effects like Столп солнечного света.
- Long fears are now shorter in PvP, to account for the target also needing to run back afterward.
Additionally, we've significantly reduced the number of throughput-increasing cooldowns and procs, in order to further reduce burst damage. Please keep in mind when reading the specifics of the patch notes that some classes may have lost abilities, or had the power of select abilities reduced. These changes were made in the context of the above goals. Other classes have a reduced crowd-control ability overall. We believe that this entire package of changes will make PvP a more enjoyable experience for everyone.
Cyclone can now be canceled by immunity effects (i.e. Божественный щит, Ледяная глыба, etc.), and can be dispelled by Массовое рассеивание.
- Disorienting Roar’s effect now shares Diminishing Returns with other Mesmerize effects.
- Nature’s Swiftness can no longer turn Cyclone into an instant-cast spell.
- Столп солнечного света no longer Silences a target again more than once per cast. Additionally, the Silence effect from this spell now shares Diminishing Returns with other Silences.
- Охотник pets no longer have crowd-control abilities.
Basilisk: Petrifying Gaze; Bat: Sonic Blast; Bird of Prey: Snatch; Crab: Pin; Crane: Lullaby; Crocolisk: Ankle Crack; Dog: Lock Jaw; Gorilla: Pummel; Monkey: Bad Manners; Moth: Serenity Dust; Nether Ray: Nether Shock; Porcupine: Paralyzing Quill; Rhino: Horn Toss; Scorpid: Clench; Shale Spider: Web Wrap; Silithid: Venom Web Spray; Spider: Web; and Wasp: Sting have been removed as pet abilities.
’s Root effect now shares Diminishing Returns with all other Root effects.
Scatter Shot has been removed.
Silencing Shot has been removed.
Traps and trap launchers no longer have an arming time and can instantly trigger.
Traps can no longer be disarmed.
now has a 6 sec duration in PvP (down from 8 sec). Маг
- Дыхание дракона's Disoriented effect now shares Diminishing Returns with all other Mesmerize effects.
- ’s Frozen effect now shares Diminishing Returns with all other Root effects.
- Improved Counterspell has been removed.
- can no longer turn Polymorph into an instant-cast spell.
- Неистовые кулаки no longer stuns a target more than once per cast.
- ’s Disoriented effect now shares Diminishing Returns with all other Mesmerize effects.
- Grapple Weapon has been removed.
- Круг мира no longer Silences or Disarms enemies. It now incapacitates targets in the area for 3 seconds, or until the target takes damage. The ability now shares Diminishing Returns with all other Mesmerize effects.
- Рука-копье no longer Silences the target if they’re facing the Монах.
- ’s Root effect now shares Diminishing Returns with all other Root effects.
- Blinding Light has been removed.
- Покаяние's cast time has been increased to 1.8 seconds.
- 's cast time has been increased to 1.8 seconds and now has a 6 second duration in PvP (down from 8 seconds).
- Контроль над разумом now shares Diminishing Returns with all other Mesmerize effects.
- Слово Света: Наказание now shares Diminishing Returns with all other Mesmerize effects.
- Глубинный ужас now shares Diminishing Returns with all other Mesmerize effects.
- Ментальный крик is now a level-15 talent, replacing Psyfiend, and has a 45-second cooldown (up from 30 seconds).
- Rapture no longer has any effect beyond removing the cooldown of Power Word: Shield.
- ’ Root effect now has a chance to break if the target takes sufficient damage.
’s cooldown has been increased to 60 seconds (up from 30 seconds) and now shares Diminishing Returns with all other Mesmerize effects.
- Felhunter: Запрет чар now only interrupts spell casting and no longer Silences the enemy.
- Лик тлена now shares Diminishing Returns with all other Mesmerize effects.
- Observer: Оптический удар now only deals damage and interrupts spell casting. The ability no longer Silences the enemy.
- Обжигающая магия’s cooldown has been increased to 30 seconds (up from 20 seconds).
- Succubus: Соблазн and Shivarra: Очарование now have a 30-second cooldown.
- Terrorguard no longer casts Terrifying Roar when it dies.
- ’s cooldown has been increased to 2 minutes (up from 1 minute).
- Voidwalker: Disarm and Voidlord: Disarm have been removed.
- Рывок now Roots the target (instead of stunning). The Root effect does not share a Diminishing Return with other Roots.
- Вестник войны now causes Рывок to stun the target for 1.5 sec instead of rooting it.
- Disarm has been removed.
- Устрашающий крик now has a 6 sec duration in PvP (down from 8 sec).
Buffs and Debuffs
All specializations provide some common buffs and debuffs. These are important to the game because they encourage cooperation, make you stronger when you work together with others, and promote Raid composition diversity. However, we saw room to revise these buffs and debuffs. We also spread around some of the harder-to-find Raid buffs/debuffs, especially for specializations that brought relatively few.
Weakened Armor and
were effectively redundant, both filling the role of increasing Physical damage taken by the target. So, we removed Weakened Armor and widened the availability of
- Weakened Armor
The following abilities no longer apply the Weakened Blows effect.
Друид: now applies , increasing Physical damage taken by 4% for 30 seconds.
- Воин (Protection): Сокрушение
The following abilities have been removed.
Weakened Blows was a debuff that mattered almost exclusively to tanks, and that every tank automatically applied. We removed the debuff and reduced creature damage to compensate.
The following abilities have been removed.
The Cast Speed Slow was a debuff type that mattered almost exclusively to PvP, and made combat much less fun for casters in addition to encouraging the use of instant-cast spells. We decided that it was best to remove casting speed debuffs.
- Cast Speed Slows
The following abilities no longer slow the target’s casting speed by 50%.
Рыцарь смерти: Necrotic Strike
- Mage (Arcane): Slow
- Additionally, Slow can now affect more than one target at a time.
The following abilities have been removed.
As part of a push to combine the different types of Haste in the game as much as possible, we merged Spell Haste and Attack Speed into just Haste, which benefits everyone.
- Spell Haste and Attack Speed
The following abilities now provide a 5% increase to melee, ranged, and spell Haste to all Party and Raid members (previously they only increased spell Haste).
Друид (Balance): Облик лунного совуха
- Охотник Pet (Sporebat):
- Жрец (Shadow):
- Шаман (Elemental):
The following abilities now provide a 5% increase to melee, ranged, and spell Haste to all Party and Raid members (instead of a 10% increase to only melee and ranged attack speed).
The following Охотник
pet abilities have been removed.
- Гиена: Cackling Howl; Змей: Serpent's Swiftness
- Blood Рыцарь смертиs receive a new passive ability at level 80 called .
grants a bonus to Mastery to all Party and Raid members.
s now also learn
, granting 5% increased Critical Strike chance to all Party and Raid members.
The following abilities now also increase magic damage taken by the target by 5% for 15 seconds.
Instant Cast Heals
Over time, healers have gained a bigger and bigger arsenal of heals that they can cast while on the move, which removes the inherent cost that movement is intended to have for them, while also limiting players’ ability to counter healing in PvP. This left Silences and crowd control (which we’re trying to curb—see "Pruning the Garden of War") as the only ways to actually limit an enemy player's healing output. We're still preserving the option to instantly heal, but are reducing the number of instant-cast healing abilities overall. Raid and dungeon encounter damage during high-movement phases will be adjusted accordingly. Here are some examples:
Буйный рост (Restoration) now has a 1.5-second cast time (up from instant cast).
- Оживить (Mistweaver) now has a 1.5-second cast time (up from instant cast).
- now has a 1.5-second cast time (up from instant cast) for Holy Паладинs.
- Свет зари now has a 1.5-second cast time (up from instant cast).
- now has a 1.5-second cast time (up from instant cast).
- (Protection) now also makes and instant cast.
- (Retribution) now also makes and instant cast.
- Молитва восстановления now has a 1.5-second cast time (up from instant cast).
- now has a 1.5-second cast time (up from instant cast).
- Божественная звезда now has a 1.5-second cast time (up from instant cast).
- Сияние now has a 1.5-second cast time (up from instant cast).
Tank Vengeance and Resolve
The changes to tanking made in Mists of Pandaria turned out quite well, overall. But there were a few rough parts that we're going to smooth over. The biggest one is the offensive capabilities of Vengeance. We like that tanks can provide meaningful DPS to their group, however, it swung wildly based on the fight, even surpassing the dedicated damage dealers occasionally. To solve this, we're going to remove the offensive value of Vengeance, but preserve the defensive value, by making it increase the effect of your active mitigation buttons, instead of Attack Power.
Vengeance has been removed and replaced with a new passive ability, .
: Increases your healing and absorption done to yourself, based on Stamina and damage taken (before avoidance and mitigation) in the last 10 seconds.
Then, to keep tank DPS meaningful, we'll be raising their damage, since it would be meager with no Vengeance Attack Power (Vengeance accounted for 70-90% of a tank's damage on high-tank-damage fights in Mists). To do that, we're increasing the damage of several prominent tank abilities, as well as having tanks also gain increased Attack Power from Mastery, in addition to the stat’s existing benefits. That also helps keep secondary stats balanced in offensive value for them. Друид
- Искусность: Страж природы now also passively increases Attack Power by 12% (percentage increased by Mastery), in addition to its current effects.
- Искусность: верткий задира now also passively increases Attack Power by 12% (percentage increased by Mastery), in addition to its current effects.
- Brewmasters no longer deal 15% less damage.
- Искусность: священный оплот now also passively increases Attack Power by 12% (percentage increased by Mastery), in addition to its current effects.
- Искусность: критический блок now also passively increases Attack Power by 12% (percentage increased by Mastery), in addition to its current effects.
Quality of Life Improvements
Strict facing requirements can be frustrating to deal with, especially in hectic Raid combat or PvP environments. In order to ease this frustration, we decided to remove or significantly loosen the facing requirements of all attacks that required the player to be behind their target.
Resurrection Mana Costs
We reduced the mana cost of all resurrection spells to 4% of base mana, so that mana isn't an inhibitor on the Raid or Party's ability to recover from a wipe. Cast time already functions as the primary cost of these spells. Note that Жрец
s' Resurrection spell was already at 4% of base mana, so it remains unchanged.
Automatically Learned Glyphs
While leveling, characters unlock Glyph slots at several specific levels. However, in order to get glyphs, characters need to visit an Auction House (and potentially pay way more gold than an average character of that level has yet), or know a Scribe from which to request them. To solve this, we've made characters learn some Glyphs automatically as they level.
- All classes now learn some of their Major Glyphs as they level. Recipes for these Glyphs have been removed.
At level 25, Glyph of the following Glyphs are automatically learned by characters of the appropriate class:
, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
At level 50, the following Glyphs are automatically learned by characters of the appropriate class:
- , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
At level 60, the following Glyphs are automatically learned by characters of the appropriate class:
At level 75, the following Glyphs are automatically learned by characters of the appropriate class:
- , , , , , Glyph of Misdirection, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
Some of our goals with Professions in Warlords of Draenor are to make them more of a personal choice, and less of a mandatory “min/max” selection. To that end, we're removing the direct combat benefits of Professions. Additionally, we've made it easier to level Mining and Herbalism. Healing Potions have gone mostly unused lately, compared to combat stat potions. We chose to solve that problem, along with a problem with Чернокнижник
utility, by having Healing Potions and Healthstones share cooldowns.
- Herbalists can now harvest herbs throughout the game world without hard skill requirements. The yield an Herbalist will be able to harvest from each node is now determined by skill level.
- Miners can now harvest mineral nodes in outdoor areas of the game world without hard skill requirements. The yield a Miner will be able to harvest from each node is now determined by skill level.
- Healing Potions no longer share a cooldown with other potions, but instead share a 60-second cooldown with Healthstones. The cooldown will not reset until the player leaves combat.
A few things have happened for Рыцарь смерти
s. As described above in Ability Pruning, several cooldowns were made spec-specific. Rotations remain unchanged for the most part. One thing we did polish up is the effect of Diseases on the damage of other abilities. Diseases now do enough damage on their own to warrant using them, so having them act as multipliers on the damage of other abilities was extraneous, and just cluttered up the tooltips of those abilities. We removed those multipliers, and just baked in their benefit to the corresponding base spell. This slightly reduces ramp-up time.
- damage has been increased by 50%, but no longer deals additional damage to targets affected by Кровавая чума or Озноб.
- damage has been increased by 30%, but no longer deals additional damage for each disease present on the target.
- Уничтожение now deals 25% more damage on both main- and off-hand weapons, but no longer deals additional damage for each disease present on the target.
- Удар Плети no longer deals additional damage for each disease present on the target. The ability now deals 50% of the Physical damage dealt as additional Shadow damage; this effect can critically hit and no longer ignores modifiers.
In order to better balance the scaling rates and value of secondary stats for Unholy Рыцарь смерти
s, we reduced the power of their passive Нечестивое могущество
Active Mitigation was a very successful design that was inspired by Рыцарь смерти
s' tanking style. However, it went beyond that, and Рыцарь смерти
s themselves were somewhat left behind in that regard. We made several changes to bring up the interactivity of Blood combat. This includes making Удар смерти
cause healing based on attack power, but be affected by the new Resolve passive (see Tank Vengeance and Resolve, above), which gives it the traditional increase from recent damage. Plus,
is being significantly improved, to become a strong Active Mitigation button. To tie those together, Blood's Mastery is being changed to affect both the size of the Blood Shield absorb, and the new Rune Shield absorb. Additionally, we removed Dodge and Parry from gear, and expect Blood Рыцарь смерти
s to value Haste and Crit as important secondary stats. In order to achieve that, we made Riposte give defensive value to auto attack and Rune Strike crits. Finally, we tweaked the targeting AI of Танцующее руническое оружие
, and fixed it up to use most Talents that you know.
Искусность: щит крови
- now only cleaves 1 additional target (down from 2).
- Удар смерти now causes healing that scales in effectiveness with attack power, instead of based on damage taken in the last 5 sec. This healing is affected by Resolve.
- now causes Удар смерти to also cause an absorb for 50% of the amount healed.
- now grants an absorption shield that scales in effectiveness with Attack Power, instead of a heal based on a % of maximum health. It also now has 2 charges, with a 30-second recharge time.
now grants an immediate charge, and makes your next free. However, its damage reduction buff now only lasts 4 sec (down from 8sec).
now increases the effectiveness of Blood Shield and Rune Shield by 16% (percentage increased by mastery), instead of adding the Blood Shield effect.
has been redesigned.
Танцующее руническое оружие
- : After getting a Critical Strike with an Auto Attack or Rune Strike, you gain +100% Parry chance until you Parry an attack. This can stack up to 2 times.
’s summoned Rune Weapon now remains fixated on the Рыцарь смерти
’s target at the time of summoning, and copies the effects of Talents that are tied to the Рыцарь смерти
, such as
, or Асфиксия
. Should the original target be dead or otherwise unavailable, the Rune Weapon will switch to assist with the Рыцарь смерти
’s current target.
Since the Ghoul pet is now Unholy only, that presents a problem for Смертельный союз
. We revised Смертельный союз
to not require an undead minion, but work a little differently. We left it at 50% heal, which is effectively a 33% buff to it from before (see Healing and Player Health above), and added a heal absorb for half the amount healed, instead. It should now be a relatively more effective heal for staying alive immediately, but with the downside of needing to heal through the heal absorb before you can be healed any further.
- Смертельный союз no longer requires an undead minion, and instead places a heal absorb on you for 50% of the amount healed.
There were also a few other miscellaneous changes. The Runic Power generation of Антимагический панцирь
was standardized, to make it more understandable, and balanced.Друид
s have seen a few significant changes. The loss of Symbiosis (see Ability Pruning above) will primarily impact Друид
s’ survival, as many of the abilities received through Symbiosis were defensive cooldowns. To compensate for that change, we buffed Инстинкты выживания
significantly and the ability is now available for all specializations.
- Инстинкты выживания is now available to all Друид specializations. Survival Instincts now reduces damage taken by 70% (up from 50%) with a 2-minute cooldown (down from 3), and for Feral and Guardian specializations can have up to 2 charges (up from 1).
s have had increased Armor as their Mastery for a while now. However, one of the new secondary stats available to all tanks is Bonus Armor. We didn't feel that the difference of being additive vs. being a multiplier was significant enough to warrant keeping their Mastery around. Additionally, active mitigation hasn't played out as well for Guardians as it has for some other tanks. We decided to redesign the Mastery for Guardian Друид
s to something that compliments the Avoidance-heavy nature of
, and also to improve the usability of
for more consistent damage reduction. Note that Primal Tenacity's calculation uses the damage before any other absorbs you have, and before
's effects, so that it isn’t negatively affected by any of those. We also slightly reduced the power of
, in order to better balance secondary stats for Guardians.
- Guardian Друидs' Mastery (Nature’s Guardian) has been replaced with a new Искусность: Страж природы.
Искусность: Страж природы causes the Друид to gain a Physical absorb shield equal to 16% of the attack’s damage when they are hit by a Physical attack. Attacks which this effect fully or partially absorbs cannot trigger Primal Tenacity.
Rage for Guardian Друид
s has been problematic throughout Mists of Pandaria. Most of their rage generation was extremely passive, and most of their button presses either didn't affect their survivability, or only trivially did so. We made changes to Haste and Crit, to try to solve these rage generation problems, and improve their rotation. Most
- Auto-attacks now generate 5 Rage (down from 10.9 Rage).
- now generates 10 Rage, has no cooldown (down from a 3-second cooldown), but no longer has a chance to reset Mangle's cooldown.
- Thrash now generates 2 Rage every time it deals direct or periodic damage, has no cooldown (down from a 6-second cooldown), but no longer has a chance to reset Mangle's cooldown.
- no longer has a chance to reset Mangle's cooldown.
- now generates 5 Rage (down from 15 Rage) when you dodge or non-periodically critically strike (up from only Auto Attacks and Mangle).
- Mangle now generates 30 Rage, and its cooldown is reduced by Haste.
- Облик медведя no longer increases Haste and Crit from items by 50%, but instead causes Haste to reduce the global cooldown.
s received a few tweaks beyond what's been mentioned above in Ability Pruning and Facing Requirements.
was buffed significantly, in order to bring it up to par with
. Primal Fury was changed to let it affect area attacks as well.
was reworked to better achieve its intended effect.
- 's damage has been increased by 100%.
- Primal Fury now also grants a combo point for area attacks that critically strike the Друид's primary target.
- now grants a free 5 combo point Дикий рев when leaving Prowl, instead of allowing Дикий рев to be used with 0 combo points.
has an amazingly strong effect (pour a ton of healing into the whole Raid/Party), but had excessive complexity for a relatively simple task (5 different targets per tick, a short HoT, stacking, varied strength by raid size). So, we simplified it significantly. It still will be used just as it always has been.
- Спокойствие now heals every Party and Raid member within range every 2 seconds for 8 seconds. It no longer places a periodic effect on each target. The total amount of healing it generates in Raids should be approximately the same as before this change.
s got a few changes as well. In Patch 5.4, a Glyph was introduced where you could choose to attach your Efflorescence to Wild Mushroom, instead of to Быстрое восстановление
. That was a rousing success, taken by nearly all Restoration Друид
s, and felt like a much better situation to us, so we decided to remove the glyph choice, and bake it in permanently. Secondly, while we are fine with the playstyle where a Restoration Друид
blankets their Raid in Омоложение
s, the Swift Rejuvenation passive made that too strong, and also limited their scaling with Haste. We removed that passive, to encourage using other spells more, but still allow Омоложение
blanketing as a playstyle choice.
The level 90-Talent row for Друид
s was designed to encourage hybrid gameplay. We decided that, while you shouldn't have to give up a significant amount of your primary role throughput in order to gain the off-role benefit, you also don't need to gain an actual benefit to your primary role throughput benefit either. We've reduced the power of their primary role benefit, making them roughly neutral in their effect on your primary role. Note that the increase to off-role healing from Природная чуткость
is not actually a buff (see Healing and Player Health above).
- Heart of the Wild no longer provides an increase to Hit chance or Expertise while active, and no longer increases Stamina, Agility, and Intellect.
- Dream of Cenarius
Balance: Casting no longer increases the damage bonus of the Друид’s next Eclipse. Eclipse now causes the Друид’s next to become instant cast and reset the cooldown on Starsurge.
- Feral: Casting no longer increases the damage of the Друид’s next 2 melee abilities, or increases the healing of Омоложение.
- Guardian: No longer increases the critical strike chance of Mangle.
, while active, increases single-target damage and healing caused by healing spells by 16% (down from 25%), and all single-target damage spells also heal a nearby friendly target for 35% of the damage done (up from 25%).Охотник
s have lacked a strong distinction between the different specializations. What we mean by that is that the Охотник
specializations all had rotations that felt similar, with Marksmanship and Survival having the most blurred identities (Beast Mastery felt well rooted in the pet). Охотник
s were also some of the most afflicted by button bloat. To address these problems, we opted to make changes to each specialization's rotation, primarily through removing abilities, and making some of them unique to each spec. This means things like Прицельный выстрел
being the primary Focus dump for Marksmanship, instead of
or Serpent Sting being available only to Survival. Охотник
s also had a large number of cooldown abilities, which we've also cut down (some of which we moved to the talent tree, competing with other active buttons). For a full list of what was removed, please see Ability Pruning and PvP - Crowd Control and Diminishing Returns.
One of the most difficult abilities to decide to cut was Aspect of the Hawk. It began to feel fairly meaningless, since it was used virtually all of the time in combat, so might as well have just been passive. We decided to cut Aspect of the Hawk, and bake in its benefit to the other abilities. The remaining aspect abilities are all utility only, and are being moved off the stance bar and made toggles.
s should see a drastic reduction in the number of active buttons, and have a clearer distinction between the different specializations. With some of these changes, you may find yourself favoring a different specialization. Keep in mind that Draenor Perks, earned from levels 91 to 99, will serve to further distinguish the different specializations.
- Aspect of the Pack no longer appears on the stance bar and is now on the global cooldown.
- no longer appears on the stance bar and is now on the global cooldown.
- : The ability taught by this Glyph no longer appears on the stance bar and is now on the global cooldown.
- : No longer triggers any cooldown on Aspects.
There were also a few other changes, primarily for quality of life and rotational consistency.
- Прицельный выстрел now deals 20% more damage and no longer interrupts Auto Attacks.
- Отпустить питомца now ignores line of sight.
- Охотник Pets now have a 1 second global cooldown.
- ’s periodic effect now has a chance each time it deals damage to cause the next 2 Explosive Shots to cost no Focus and not trigger a cooldown. This effect is guaranteed to activate at least once.
- Взрывная ловушка now places a periodic-damage effect on each target within the radius of the explosion, rather than a persistent effect on the ground.
The Mage class has good specialization distinction when it comes to their single-target rotations, but utility and area-of-effect spells were heavily shared between specializations. Commonly, these spells were redundant as well. We made many of their spells specialization-specific (as described in Ability Pruning above). And probably most significant, we made changes to several existing Talents.
was extremely strong for instant CC, which we wanted to curtail. Rather than completely remove
or make it not affect CC abilities, we made it a base Arcane spell, where we don't expect that it will be a problem, since Arcane has less CC than the other Mage specs already. In its place, we've added a new talent, Пропадание
- is no longer a Talent, and is instead learned by Arcane Mages.
- Пропадание is a new Talent available at level 15.
Пропадание: Fade into the nether, avoiding all attacks against you for 3 seconds. This spell may be cast while a cast-time spell is in progress and is not on the global cooldown. Replaces Ледяная глыба. 45-second cooldown.
Going along with our goals to reduce cooldown stacking across all of the classes, we decided to remove
's DPS contribution.
has a number of clever movement and utility uses, but in practice it was mostly being used for additional uptime of offensive cooldowns. Mages also had many redundant forms of survival utility, so we moved a utility-only version of
into the Talent tree, replacing Temporal Shield.
- Temporal Shield has been removed.
- is now a level-30 Talent, replacing Temporal Shield.
now lasts for 15 seconds (up from 6 seconds), has a 90 second cooldown (down from 3 minutes), and no longer affects the casting Mage’s mana, buffs, or debuffs.
A few of the abilities reset by
were made spec-specific, or could be overridden with Talents, so we expanded what it can affect to compensate.
The Mage Bomb level-75 Talent row, the Bomb row, was also problematic. We chose to add the Bombs to all Mages' rotations in order to spice them up a bit, to provide rotational variety. That succeeded, and we're overall happy with how they interact with your rotation in a single-target situation, but they also came with the prospect of multi-dotting (applying your damage-over-time spell to many enemies, individually), which we don't feel is an appropriate fit for Mages. Additionally, in order to make all 3 Bombs useful to all specializations, we had to lose some of their spec-specific perks. And, even more importantly, many Mages did not like DoT gameplay at all.
In order to solve all of these problems, we decided to merge the 3 current Bomb Talents into one that changes based on spec. That allows us to reintroduce spec-specific perks to each Bomb, and makes room for some non-DoT alternatives.
- Буря Пустоты, Живая бомба, and are now available to their corresponding specialization only, and share the left Talent slot.
Буря Пустоты can now only be on 1 target at a time (down from unlimited), but its secondary damage now hits all targets in range (up from only 1), and deals 100% of the primary damage (up from 50%).
- Живая бомба can once again be applied to multiple targets, can be spread by Огненный взрыв, and has a normal 1.5 second cooldown. More of its damage has been moved into its explosion.
- has been redesigned. It now lasts 12 seconds, has no cooldown, and explodes every time the target is critically hit by the Mage's Ледяное копье. The damage per explosion has been reduced by 75% to compensate.
is a new Talent available at level 75, in the middle Talent slot.
The right level-75 Talent slot is now filled by a new Talent that varies by specialization.
- Сверхновая: Cause a pulse of Arcane energy around the target enemy or ally, dealing Arcane damage to all enemies within 8 yards, and knocking them up. If the primary target is an enemy, they take 100% increased damage. Replaces Frost Nova. 25-second cooldown. Instant cast.
- Взрывная волна: Cause an explosion of fiery force around the target enemy or ally, dealing Fire damage to all enemies within 8 yards, and dazing them, reducing their movement speed by 70% for 4 seconds. If the primary target is an enemy, they take 100% increased damage. Replaces Frost Nova. 25-second cooldown. Instant cast.
- Кольцо обледенения: Cause a whirl of icy wind around the target enemy or ally, dealing Frost damage to all enemies within 8 yards, and freezing them for 4 sec. If the primary target is an enemy, they take 100% increased damage. Replaces Frost Nova. 20-second cooldown. Instant cast.
One of the most problematic Talent rows in the game has been the Mage level-90 row. The primary theme of the row was mana, which only Arcane Mages actually cared about. Bonus damage was added in, making it functional for all Mages, but muddled in its goals. Additionally, some of them just weren't fun to play with. We've revised the row to be purely about damage, and made them have less maintenance cost. Arcane Mages will have enough mana regeneration without these Talents to perform well.
- Invocation has been removed.
- Зеркальное изображение is now a level-90 Talent, replacing Invocation.
Mirror Images now inherit 50% of the Mage’s Spell Power (up from 5%).
no longer replaces Прилив сил
, no longer increases mana regeneration, and now lasts 3 minutes (up from 1 minute).
Incanter's Ward has been removed. Колдовской поток
is a new level-90 Talent, replacing Incanter's Ward.
- Колдовской поток: Magical energy flows through you, increasing all spell damage done by 5% per stack. While in combat, the magical energy builds up to 5 stacks over 5 seconds and then diminishes down to 1 stack over 5 seconds. This cycle repeats every 10 seconds.
Frost Mages enjoyed newfound PvE viability in Mists of Pandaria, and we intend to continue that into the future. However, we do want to clean up some rough spots, especially around their valuing of secondary stats, and the amount of instant-cast spells in their rotation. The
changes increase the amount of Haste/Critical chance that they can acquire on gear before they start hitting soft caps. The Обледенение
change also lowers the value of Critical Strike for a bit. The changes to the level-75 Talent row meant that having a Bomb spell is no longer guaranteed, so we changed the way that
is triggered. We also changed
's effect, in order to give Frost mages another cast-time spell in their rotation.
- now grants 15% chance to Multistrike instead of 7% Haste.
- now causes Icy Veins to provide 75% chance to Multistrike, instead of 20% Haste.
- Shatter now multiplies Critical Strike chance by 1.5 (down from 2).
- The effect no longer makes Шквал instant, but it can now stack to 2. It also no longer triggers from the Bomb Talents, and instead has a 10% chance to trigger from Ледяная стрела casts. Each Multistrike of Ледяная стрела increases that cast's chance by an additional 45%. (Total of 100% on double-Multistrikes).
In order to make room for more Haste effects to apply to Чародейская вспышка
, we raised its cast time and damage slightly. We also made
last longer, to aid in questing and encounters.
- Чародейская вспышка's cast time has been increased to 2.25 seconds (up from 2 seconds), and its damage has been increased by 12.5% to compensate.
- now last 15 seconds (up from 10 seconds).
The brand-new class for Mists of Pandaria, Монах
s, turned out to be a ton of fun. Brewmasters stayed fairly solid all expansion long. Windwalkers needed a few tweaks here and there, especially to their Mastery, and still have a few shortcomings that we hope to improve, but overall worked quite well. Mistweavers had a bit of a rollercoaster ride, veering between weak and strong over the course of the expansion. Most of our changes to Монах
s will focus on Mistweavers, to try to get them just right.
About midway through the expansion, it became clear that mana was not valuable for Mistweavers. We tried some adjustments to solve that, but it proved too large of a change to make at the time. We chose to just live with that problem for the time being, and tune them around not really caring much about Spirit or mana (once they reached epic gear).
Now that we have the time to tweak things, and for Mistweavers to acquire new gear, we're going to make changes to get them in the right spot. Initially, we experimented with giving Mistwavers a 1-second GCD akin to that of the Разбойник
to give them a faster combat feel. However, it's proven difficult to balance. Haste is attractive to healers because it lowers not just cast time but GCD as well. Therefore, Монах
s valued Haste much less than other healers. We explored a few options, but ultimately landed on changing the core GCD for Mistweavers from 1 second to the standard 1.5 seconds, which you will be able to reduce with Haste. This will feel jarring at first, but we're confident that it's for the best, long-term.
- All abilities available to Mistweavers now have a 1.5 second global cooldown (up from 1 second).
Пошатывание and Стойка разъяренного тигра now reduce the global cooldown of the Монах’s abilities by 0.5 seconds.
no longer increases Haste from items by 50%.
is a new passive ability for Mistweaver Монах
Сверкающая нефритовая молния
- : Haste effects lower the global cooldown of your spells and abilities.
no longer generates Chi for Mistweaver Монах
s. Успокаивающий туман
no longer generates Chi for Mistweaver Монах
s. Громовой чай
now causes the next Заживляющий туман
to jump up to 4 times (used to cause the next Uplift to refresh the duration of Заживляющий туман
s on all targets).
Healing Spheres now heal an ally within 12yd (up from 6yd) for 100% (up from 50%) of their normal healing, when they expire.
is a new spell available to Mistweavers:
- : Instantly detonate all of your Healing Spheres, causing each of them to heal a nearby ally within 12 yards of the sphere. 15 sec cooldown.
Another issue with Mistweavers is that of
, which has never really played out how we had hoped. The intent with
was to create an alternate play style to fulfill the fantasy of healing through dealing damage, since we knew a lot of players had that fantasy, and a new class was the perfect opportunity to satisfy that.
Having two play styles in one spec (
, and traditional Mistweaving, healing primarily through casting heals) proved challenging to balance, because we don't want players to take the best parts of both and stack them into an unintended superior spec. The most notorious of these cases was "Jab-Jab-Uplift". In order to solve this problem, we're giving Mistweavers two stances.
will continue to be the stance from which to do traditional Mistweaving. The new
will be the stance to use for
. You can swap stances at will, with only the cost of a GCD and any current Chi that you've accrued. The intention is that
allows Mistweavers to trade healing for damage; it should fall somewhere in the middle between being a full healer, and being a full damage dealer.
- is a new ability for Mistweaver Монахs, which replaces Стойка разъяренного тигра.
The Spell-Power-to-Attack-Power conversion effect has been moved from to .
- The effect has been moved from to .
now makes Танцующий журавль
heal friends instead of damaging enemies, while in
(previously, it would heal allies in addition to damaging enemies).
Mastery: Gift of the Serpent’s Healing Spheres now scale with Spell Power instead of Attack Power.
Serpent's Zeal has been removed. Eminence now always includes Auto Attacks.
Muscle Memory and Vital Mists have been merged. Muscle Memory now requires
, and passively increases the damage of Сверкающая нефритовая молния
by 100%, causes
to trigger the Vital Mists effect, and causes Blackout Kick to hit 4 additional nearby targets for 50% damage.
The following abilities now require
The following abilities now require
We also improved all Монах
Healing Spheres. You'll no longer waste them when running over multiple at once when you only need a little healing. And we significantly improved the effect when Mistweavers' Healing Spheres expire. We also made Жизнь после смерти
Healing Spheres consistent with the rest of the class.
- When a player runs through multiple Healing Spheres at once, only as many as needed to heal the player to full health will be consumed (instead of all of them if the player is injured at all).
- Healing Spheres from Искусность: туманный поток now heal an injured ally within 12 yards (up from 6 yards) for 100% (up from 50%) of their normal effect, when they expire.
- Жизнь после смерти’s Healing Sphere now heals for the same amount as other Healing Spheres (instead of healing for 15% of maximum health).
We also did some polishing on Brewmasters and Windwalkers. We made Буря, земля и огонь
, Transcendence, and Смертельное касание
easier to use.
- Трансцендентность: перенос no longer has an energy or mana cost.
- Буря, земля и огонь no longer has an energy cost, and is off the GCD.
- Смертельное касание is now usable on targets that have 10% or less health remaining, or have less current health than your maximum health. The rules against players remain unchanged.
- Неистовые кулаки now always deal full damage to your primary target; additional targets are still affected by the damage split.
- now also causes Black Ox Statue to passively pulse a minor amount of threat to all enemies within 30 yards.
s, we have a few tweaks in store. To compensate for the removal of Защитник древних королей
from Holy, we merged its benefit into Divine Favor. We also raised the range of
to be consistent with other spells. And for Молот праведника
, we revised its functionality a bit, such that its performance is about the same, but its tooltip is much clearer.
- now also increases all of the Паладин’s healing by 100% for its duration.
- 's range has increased to 40 yards (up from 30 yards).
- Молот праведника now deals 50% Physical weapon damage (up from 15%) to the primary target, but the primary target is no longer hit with the Holy damage.
- Seals no longer cost any mana.
- Stay of Execution (the Holy version of Execution Sentence) now deals its healing in a large burst at first, and then decreasing over time (reversed from before).
- now deals 100% of the direct healing of (up from 70%), but only 50% as much periodic healing as before. Additionally, Bastion of Glory no longer affects the periodic healing.
We've made a few significant changes to Жрец
s as well, focused mostly on reining in Discipline absorbs, improving quality of life for both healing Жрец
specializations, and solving single-target damage issues for Shadow.Искупление вины
was the original damage-to-healing conversion ability, but grew out of control during Mists of Pandaria. We decided to reduce its effectiveness, to bring it more in line with our goal of it being an option to trade significant healing for significant damage (ending up somewhere between a full healer and a full damage dealer). Another place where Discipline's absorbs were too strong was in their interaction with the level-90 Talents, especially in large Raids. Near the end of Mists of Pandaria, we uncapped the AoE healing of that Talent row; that has proven to be a mistake in Discipline's case, not because it caused the level-90 Talents themselves to heal for too much, but rather because the gigantic overhealing that that produced translated into gigantic Divine Aegis absorbs. To get back to a balanced place, we've reapplied the AoE caps to the level-90 Talents, making them consistent with all other AoE heals.
For Holy Жрец
s, our biggest concern is with the Chakras. We think that Chakras are the defining abilities of Holy Жрец
s, but that they haven't lived up to their potential. We decided to move more of their effectiveness from their raw throughput buff (which felt like a penalty for being in the wrong chakra, rather than a bonus for being in the right Chakra) into the Holy Word spells that they grant. We also returned Обновление
to a normal 1.5-second global cooldown (GCD), so that Обновление
blanketing is still possible, but less ideal without Haste.
- now increases healing of single-target spells by 10% (down from 25%).
- now heals for 40% more than before.
- now increases healing of area-of-effect spells by 10% (down from 25%).
- now heals for 60% more than before.
- Rapid Обновлениеal no longer reduces the global cooldown of Обновление.
s had one large problem toward the end of Mists of Pandaria: single-target damage. Their AoE and multi-DoT damage was some of the best around, so they still ended up competitive on most fights. But, in any fight that was mostly single-target, they felt lacking. Additionally, one of the new stats we're adding in Warlords of Draenor, Multistrike, is almost exactly what their current Mastery, Shadowy Recall, does for DoTs. So, we took these two problems and came up with a change that we think will solve both of them. The result is a new Mastery, which primarily increases single-target damage. Shadow Жрец
s who want to focus on single-target damage can aim for Mastery in their gearing; or, when multi-dotting is more valuable, prefer other secondary stats over Mastery.
There are a few other miscellaneous changes. One is a quality-of-life change for healing Жрец
s. The other is a fix for a problem with
, where it lasts its full duration against creatures that had no way to attack it (such as in certain Raid encounters). Note that the health reduction is to keep it where it was in health, compared to player health doubling. The third is an efficient AoE healing spell for Discipline Жрец
- Молитва восстановления from multiple Жрецs can now be on the same target, and can be on multiple targets from the same Жрец.
- now have 10% of the Жрец’s health (down from 20%), and damage dealt to the rooted target is now also dealt to the Void Tendril itself.
- Божественное перышко, if cast on players, will always prefer the casting Жрец over others, then pick the player closest to the targeted location. If there are no players where it is targeted, it will still create a feather that can be picked up, as before. Additionally, when collecting multiple feathers, the duration will be extended, instead of replaced.
- Кольцо света is no longer available via a Major Glyph, and is instead a Discipline specialization spell. Its mana cost has been lowered and its healing increased. It is intended as the efficient area-of-effect (AoE) healing spell for Discipline Жрецs.
- , , and no longer heal allies but are instant cast for Shadow Жрецs, or damage enemies for Discipline or Holy Жрецs.
In our efforts to reduce cooldown stacking across the game, we chose to remove the damage increase from Маленькие хитрости
. And second, we decided to loosen the weapon requirements on Assassination. It's important to note that we still intend for daggers to be the optimal choice for Assassination Разбойник
s, but this change will help Разбойник
s who want to try out Assassination but don't have two daggers.
- Маленькие хитрости now has no energy cost and no longer increases damage caused by the target by 15%.
- no longer requires daggers to function.
- Слепая зона can now be used with fist weapons or one-handed swords, dealing 331% weapon damage (instead of 480%) when used with those weapons instead of a dagger.
- Расправа can now be used with fist weapons or one-handed swords, dealing 137% weapon damage (instead of 200%) when used with those weapons instead of a dagger.
- Коварный удар now deals 188% weapon damage when used with a dagger (instead of 130%).
is an interesting mechanic that is important to Combat gameplay, but wasn't working out quite as well as we think that it could. In particular, there's basically no way to adjust when you're going to be in Deep Insight, other than stopping your rotation (and thus wasting energy, combo points, temporary effects, cooldown time, etc.). So, we're making an adjustment to
. The intention here is that you can use
in place of Коварный удар
when you want to delay Deep Insight (such as to line it up with a specific upcoming fight mechanic), and have little lost damage besides the overall Deep Insight uptime. We don't expect this nuanced rotation adjustment to be used by all Combat Разбойник
s, but having a little more control over the pace of your rotation will be useful to some.
- now deals 20% more damage, but no longer advances .
Among some other changes to Разбойник
AoE damage, we wanted to make sure that Fan of Knives benefitted from Предрешенность
- Предрешенность now also grants a combo point for area attacks that critically strike the Разбойник's primary target.
is an extremely powerful ability, but has the downside that it adds significant disparity between character power while soloing and while in a group. We made this change to bring up the soloing Subtlety Разбойник
, without having a significant impact on their performance while in a group.
- can now also be triggered by critical hits from the Разбойник's melee Auto Attacks.
A couple of Разбойник
abilities do periodic damage, but don't have an intended alternative if that periodic is already on the target. We made these abilities roll remaining damage from their previous effect into the new effect, so that it's still ideal to use them again in these cases.
- Кровавый вихрь's periodic damage now has rolling periodic behavior, meaning that remaining damage from the previous application is added into the newly-applied periodic-damage effect.
- Кровоизлияние's periodic damage now has rolling periodic behavior, meaning that remaining damage from the previous application is added into the newly-applied periodic-damage effect.
has proved too powerful, and frustrating to play against in PvP, so we decided to reduce its defensive capabilities, while preserving its offensive power. We changed the Увертка
period to allow the use of stealth abilities without actually stealthing you, similar to
- Увертка now allows you to use abilities that require stealth for 3 sec after leaving Stealth, instead of actually staying stealthed for 3 sec.
has received a variety of changes, most of which are specialization-specific.
For Elemental and Enhancement, we had a few problems to solve. Enhancement suffers from having their damage split among so many damage sources that none of it feels impressive. We changed the damage of several abilities to try to reorganize their damage into fewer, more impactful abilities, while keeping the net total the same. For a long time Elemental Шаман
were one of the specs most impacted by movement, at a time where other casters were increasingly able to cast while moving.
For Warlords of Draenor, we're pulling back on the ability for many casters to deal damage while moving, and that includes Elemental. They will still have some ability to deal damage while moving, through Shocks, Unleash Weapon, and instant Выброс лавы
s. For Цепная молния
, we wanted to reduce the impact of Haste soft capping, and so changed Шаман
ism to increase damage instead of reduce cast time. Additionally, we simplified Пронизывающий ветер
by removing its impact on threat, which no longer matters.
- : Searing Bolt damage increased by 65%.
- Earth Elemental deals 90% less Auto Attack damage.
- Primal Earth Elemental's Pulverize ability no longer deals damage.
- no longer deals direct damage, but now increases the damage of the Шаман’s next Fire spell by 40% (up from 30%).
- Unleash Frost no longer deals direct damage, but now always snares the target by 70% (rather than only when the target is already snared by a Frost spell).
- Unleash Wind no longer deals direct damage, but now increases attack speed by 60% (up from 50%).
- Молния is no longer castable while moving by default. Effects like Благосклонность предков can still make the spell castable while moving.
- no longer reduces the cast time of Цепная молния, but instead now increases the damage of Цепная молния by 100% (up from 70%).
- Пронизывающий ветер no longer affects threat.
- no longer has a 3-second internal cooldown.
had the most passive and smart healing of any healer, and so received some reductions in that area, along with buffs elsewhere to keep them competitive. One particular change is to Mana Tide Totem, which we made less effective for other players, but still just as effective for the Шаман
. We like that Шаман
could help other healers out on mana, but it was just too strong, significantly impacting how those other healers gear themselves.
- Цепное исцеление now heals each chain target for 15% less than the previous target.
- Высвободить чары жизни no longer increases the healing from Целительный ливень.
- now increases healing done by 5% (instead of increasing healing Spell Power by a flat amount).
- Тотем исцеляющего потока’s mana cost has been reduced to 10% of base mana (down from 23.5%), and its healing has been reduced by 50%.
- now only increases the mana returned from recalling your totems by 25% (down from 75%).
- now increases the Spirit of allies by 50% (down from 200% of the Шаман's Spirit). It remains unchanged (200%) for the Шаман activating the totem, and it still ignores temporary Spirit buffs.
- is no longer triggered by damaging spells for Restoration Шаман, or by healing spells for non-Restoration Шаман.
s received a number of cut abilities (see Ability Pruning above), but remain relatively unchanged. They saw the most change of any class in Mists of Pandaria, and so were in need of less revision this time around.
We did feel that Чернокнижник
s brought too much unique Raid utility, so decided to tone down Healthstones and Демонические врата
. We moved Healing Potions and Healthstones into a cooldown of their own, and made them usable once per combat. For
, we reduced the base healing somewhat, but massively increased the effectiveness of the Glyph which increases its healing, so as to help open up more potential
use in ideal situations. And lastly, we simplified Ожог Тьмы
- Healthstone's cooldown will now not reset until the player leaves combat. Healing from this ability can no longer be a Critical Effect.
- Демонические вратаs no longer have charges (up from being limited to 5 charges). Every Party or Raid member can use them once every 90 seconds (up from 45 seconds). The maximum distance apart they can be placed is now 40 yards (down from 70 yards).
- now heals for 30% less than before.
- now increases the healing of by 100% (up from 30%).
- Ожог Тьмы no longer generates any mana.
We wanted to fix a few problems with Воин
s. First, we still weren't happy with Arms' rotation (and neither were many players), so we've made some more changes, primarily through cutting abilities (see Ability Pruning above).
As with other classes, we wanted to reduce cooldown stacking. Cutting Skull Banner did a ton to help that across the whole game. But for Воин
s specifically, we needed to make further changes, including merging some of the personal benefit of Skull Banner back into Безрассудство
. Also, to make up for Throw being removed, we modified Героический бросок
to be more frequently usable.
- Безрассудство now increases Critical Strike chance by 15% (down from 30%) and increases Critical Strike damage by 10% (up from 0%).
- Сокрушительный бросок no longer reduces the armor of the target; it only does damage and breaks immunities.
- It also is no longer learned via any specialization, but instead through a new Major Glyph, .
- Героический бросок now has a 6-second cooldown (down from 30 seconds), but now has a 15 yard minimum range.
Haste has long been a problematic stat for Воин
s, usually being of little value. As part of our commitment to ensuring all secondary stats are valuable (except Bonus Armor for non-tanks and Spirit for non-healers, of course), we're making a significant change to Воин
s, to ensure that Haste has strong, competitive value. We're giving all Воин
s a new passive, which lets haste affect their global cooldown, and the cooldowns of their very-short-cooldown rotational abilities.
s have received a few notable changes. First, we removed Dodge and Parry from gear, and expect Protection Воин
s to value Haste and Crit as important secondary stats. In order to achieve that, we made
give defensive value to Crits. The aforementioned
also helps for valuing Haste.
- has been redesigned.
gives the Воин +100% to Parry chance until they Parry an attack after getting a critical strike with an Auto Attack.
A few Воин
Talents also were in need of revision. First, Второе дыхание
was problematic; it was sometimes too weak, and sometimes too strong. We chose to change it from a passive health regeneration effect to the new Leech effect, so that low-health Воин
s have to maintain combat in order to benefit, instead of kiting, hiding, or otherwise playing defensively. For the level-60 and level-90 Talent rows, certain combinations were proving problematic. We decided that Удар громовержца
would better compete with Ударная волна
and Рев дракона
, and that Вихрь клинков
would better compete with Аватара
and Кровавая баня
, so swapped Удар громовержца
and Вихрь клинков
's positions. Удар громовержца
is now a level-60 Talent, swapping places with Вихрь клинков
s are receiving updates to spell alerts to improve usability.
- ’s spell alert has moved to the top slot instead of the left/right slots.
- Яростный выпад now has a spell alert on the left and right slots.
With the introduction of one of the level-100 Воин
Talents, which deals Fire damage, we also expanded
to affect all damage, not just Physical damage.
We're also making a change to the design of Глубокие раны
, to try to limit is effectiveness in PvP, without hurting its effectiveness in PvE.
- Глубокие раны now lasts 15 seconds, or until the target is healed to full health.